Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spirit

Down on the pavement
bleeding, bruised, and now swelling
I stared at my foe.

Throughout my body,
the violent spikes of pain
distort his visage

Every movement,
or involuntary twitch,
burning agony

Over beaten bone,
and surrendering sinew,
pain sings out in fire

It must be over
the agony burns my thoughts
my mind fills with ash

And if I could stand
I possess no strategy
defeat is my tomb

My limbs atrophy
yet something still stirs inside
whispering madness

Ringing fills my ears
and the whispers have no words
but they have passion

All goals disappear
rationale evaporates
just sheer will remains

Before I can think
I am on my feet again
the pain is too much

the world stops briefly
then the drive ignites the pain
its flames are my fuel

He sees the process
amazed and in awe of it
the dead man rising

quickly our eyes meet
for the slightest of moments
the battle pauses

We smile with privilege
glimpsing a humanity
more than physical

No comments:

Post a Comment